Easy Dog Treat Recipe: Apple Pie Pup-Cakes
Can Dogs Eat Apples?
The simple answer is "YES!" There can be some confusion about whether or not to give your dog apples, but apples are a great crispy, healthy treat for your little fur-buddy. You should keep the core and seeds of the apple away from your dog; therefore, as long as you remove the seeds and core of the apple before you give it to your dog, it's a great snack! Or, a great ingredient to put into a nice do treat.
Our favorite part about baking homemade treats for our fur-babies?
It's knowing exactly what is going into them! It's hard to say "no" to those big, puppy eyes looking up at you from beneath the table, but we all know that table scraps are not the best for our four legged friends. With this simple recipe you can make a delicious apple pup-cake treat that you can safely share with your canine companion.
**Please note: that this recipe is not gluten free and does contain flour, so if your pet has a grain allergy try swapping out the wheat flour for coconut or almond flour instead.
APPLE PIE PUP-CAKES
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup apple sauce (look for sugar free options)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped apples (about 1 apple)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix water, apple sauce, vanilla, egg, and honey together with a whisk.
- Combine whole wheat flour and baking powder and stir into wet ingredients.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes; let cool.
Originally published August 2017. Updated July 2019.